Certified PROFIBUS Network Engineer
Become an elite Certified PROFIBUS DP/PA Network Engineer. Learn the skills to design, install, commission, and troubleshoot both PROFIBUS DP and PA networks. This course illustrates practical installation issues, goes right down to the protocol/packet level, and includes detailed information on the bus parameters.
This course meets and exceeds all the requirements of PI’s Certified PROFIBUS DP/PA Network Engineers course and the certified PROFIBUS Installers course. The course ends with a written and practical test. Successful students will be certified by PROFIBUS and PROFINET International as a Certified PROFIBUS Installer and a Certified PROFIBUS Network Engineer.
- Introduction to PROFIBUS
- Overview of PROFIBUS Components
- Basic definitions
- Different physical layers
- PROFIBUS Design
- Basics of DP/PA design
- PROFIBUS Advanced design
- What else to consider
- Proxy, gateways, and repeaters
- Installation best practice
- How to approach the installation
- Grounding and wiring
- Installation best practice
- Setting up a PROFIBUS Master
- Setting up master
- Difference between masters
- Setting up a PA device
- Profile standard
- Overview of configuration software
- PROFIBUS Theory
- OSI 7-layer model
- Startup cycle
- Command structure
- Bus parameters
- Applying the theory
- PROFIBUS Device Diagnostics
- Diagnostics via cyclic/acyclic
- Recommended procedures
- Troubleshooting common problems
- Network design lab
- Setting up a master
- Setting up an instrument
- What a good network looks like
- What common errors look like on DP
- What common errors look like on PA
- Startup sequence
- Device Diagnostics
There are no prerequisites for this course. However, it is highly recommended that the student has been introduced to PROFIBUS before.
- Attendees must bring a laptop or tablet which can read a USB drive.
- Attendees will receive a support USB drive with an electronic version of the materials plus key PI documents.
- PROFIBUS Certification upon successful completion of the examination.
- Attendees will also receive a copy of ‘Catching the process fieldbus – An introduction to PROFIBUS and PROFINET’ co-written by the instructor James Powell
- Class size is limited to a maximum of 8 people (2 students per training rack).
This course is delivered over five days. Each day requires 7.5 hours of instruction which includes two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break.
$4,042 per person. This course can be done in person, onsite, or online.
May 27 to 31, 2024 – Online (for Australia East attendees)
October 21 to 25, 2024 – Peterborough, Ontario
On-demand, online or in-person courses available by request
To register, please email us at: email@example.com
James Powell, P.Eng., is the principal engineer and owner of JCOM Automation Inc. He has written many articles and two books: HART Communication Protocol – a practical guide, and Catching the process fieldbus – An introduction to PROFIBUS and PROFINET. James is a certified PROFIBUS DP, PA, and PROFINET network engineer, PROFIBUS System Design Engineer and has over 20 years of experience with PROFIBUS, PROFINET, EtherNet/IP, Modbus, and HART installations.