Certified PROFIBUS troubleshooting and maintenance
Learn the skills to understand PROFIBUS DP and PA concepts, components, cabling, and be able to find, analyze and solve problems in PROFIBUS installations. Get hands-on experience with the latest PROFIBUS troubleshooting tools including, the all-in-one troubleshooting tool ProfiTrace 2 with Scopeware, and the permanent network monitor COMBRICK.
This course meets all the requirements of the Certified PROFIBUS Installers course. The course ends with a written and practical test. Successful students will be certified by PROFIBUS and PROFINET International as a Certified PROFIBUS Installer.
- PROFIBUS DP
- PROFIBUS PA
- RS 485 and MBP
- Cabling techniques
- Grounding and shielding
- DP/PA segment couplers, repeaters and OLMs
- Fault finding strategies
- Measurement tools
- Working with the Molex SST PROFIBUS master card
- Troubleshooting 12 Meg. networks
- PROFIBUS DP condensed version
- Special Amazon condensed version complete with COMBRICKS
- What a good network looks like
- Common errors on DP
- Common errors on PA
- Permanent monitoring
- Setting up a PROFIBUS master and slave
- Diagnostic message
- Common troubleshooting methods
- Attendees must bring a laptop or tablet which can read a USB drive.
- Attendees will receive a support USB drive with an electronic version of the materials plus key PI documents.
- Attendees of the in-person version of the course who pass the certification test will also receive a certificate from PI as a certified PROFIBUS Installer.
- Attendees will also receive a digital copy of ‘Catching the process fieldbus – An introduction to PROFIBUS and PROFINET’ co-written by the instructor James Powell
- Class size is limited to a maximum of 8 people for in-person class and 4 for instructor led online training
This course is two days long. Each day includes 7.5 hours of instruction which includes two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break.
James Powell, P.Eng., is the principal engineer and owner of JCOM Automation Inc. He has written many articles and two books: HART Communication Protocol – a practical guide, and Catching the process fieldbus – An introduction to PROFIBUS and PROFINET. James is a certified PROFIBUS DP, PA, and PROFINET network engineer, PROFIBUS System Design Engineer and has over 20 years of experience with PROFIBUS, PROFINET, EtherNet/IP, Modbus, and HART installations.